Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day Forty-Four

For those of you just tuning in, "This Guy is Falling" follows the educational exploits of Mr. Birds-Eye, a high school teacher in his third year of teaching, traditionally the make or break year in the profession. Fearing that he has finally reached his wits end, Birds-Eye decides to write a blog in hopes that he can reboot his year by focusing on the positives of the profession.

And I'm happy to report that it's been working.



Headed out to Missouri tomorrow so this'll be my last post for a couple of weeks. 


Taking off from work is always hard for me. Not because I don't want to, it's just...
Getting lesson plans together for a sub is often more annoying than just showing up to work. This time I said, "Screw it! I'm showing a movie...a  long one."


Malcolm X, anyone?


INT. CLASSROOM - DAY


Teacher - So I'm going to be gone for three days.


Student #1 - Are we going to watch a movie?


Teacher - Yeah, Malcolm X. Anyone seen it?


Student #2 - Oh, man! We watched that already in history class!

Teacher - Then I'll guess you'll be a Malcolm X expert.


Student #1 (giggling) - Mr. Birds-Eye, you said Malcolm X - pert!


END SCENCE


A real knee slapper.


And that in a nutshell is why I still like teaching.


Signing off for a week or two?


Birds-Eye

No comments:

Post a Comment