Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day Thirty-Two

For those of you just tuning in, "This Guy is Falling" follows the educational exploits of Mr. Birds-Eye, a high school teacher in his third year of teaching, traditionally the make or break year in the profession. Fearing that he has finally reached his wits end, Birds-Eye decides to write a blog in hopes that he can reboot his year by focusing on the positives of the profession.

And I'm happy to report that it's been working.



Not much to talk about today. 


Started reading James Clavell's "A Children's Story" with my sophomores. The story was written during the height of the Cold War, and it's basically about brainwashing. In the story, a new teacher enters a third grade classroom, and in the space of thirty odd minutes, she manages to destroy the concepts of country, family, and God. What's even scarier is she does this using simple tricks: she sings them a song, sits on the floor, and gives them candy.


As I read the story to my class, I was reminded me of an old Irish saying my Dad used to say, "He sold his soul for a penny role."


Take that to the bank, sucka'!


Signing off.


Birds-Eye


   

No comments:

Post a Comment