Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day Thirty-One

For those of you just tuning in, "This Guy is Falling" follows the educational exploits of Mr. Birds-Eye, a high school teacher in his third year of teaching, traditionally the make or break year in the profession. Fearing that he has finally reached his wits end, Birds-Eye decides to write a blog in hopes that he can reboot his year by focusing on the positives of the profession.

And I'm happy to report that it's been working.



Had an interesting day. Continued to discuss racism with my juniors, who are reading Black Boy


Today, we discussed Asian stereotypes, focusing on the belief that all Asians are "smart." 


It was really interesting. Most cultures would be stoked if their race was known as "smart", but the article we read focused primarily on the negative side effects of this expectation. A lot of my Asian students shared about how it's a burden because if you aren't, quote on quote, "smart" you feel really bad about yourself.


The article also talked about how some Asian kids turn their backs on this stereotype by going the other way (partying, cutting class, flunking out) because they don't want to be looked upon as "nerds."


I have a few of these kids in my class, most notably a boy who is openly gay. As I read the article this is what he said:


INT. CLASSROOM - DAY


A Teacher reads an ARTICLE to the Class.


Teacher (reading) - "Other New Waver (Asian underachievers) simply told me that they wanted to be 'cool.' They defined 'cool' people as those who are fashionable dressers..."


Boy - High five! That's me!


Teacher - "...Good dancers..."


Boy - Yep!


Teacher - "...Partygoers..."


Boy - Oh, I'm all over that one!


Teacher - "...And popular, especially with the opposite sex."


Boy - Oooh, gross!


Class LAUGHS!


END OF SCENE


And that in a nutshell is why I still like teaching.


Signing off.


Birds-Eye




    



No comments:

Post a Comment