Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day Twenty-Eight

An outtake from Friday:

Went over new vocabulary words with my sophomores. I give them sentences with the words in them so that they can guess their meaning (see Blog, day four). When I ask the kids to read their responses a loud, they often mumble.

It's annoying. So I do my best to mishear them. Mostly, it's for comic affect, but sometimes it enhances the lesson...

The word is acrid.

INT. CLASSROOM - DAY

Teacher - What's the next word?

Boy - "Mumble mumble"....

Teacher - Did you say diaper?

The Class LAUGHS.

And yes, that's what I "thought" he said.


Boy - I said acrid.

Teacher - Oh, acrid. What does it mean?

Boy - I don't know.

Teacher - Actually you do. I thought you said, "Diaper", right?

Boy - Yeah.

Teacher - Have you ever smelled a diaper?

Boy - Yeah, it's nasty.

Teacher - What do you think acrid means?

Boy - Nasty?

END SCENE

And that in a nutshell is why I still like teaching?

Signing off.

Birds-Eye
 

No comments:

Post a Comment