Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day Five

An easy day. My sophomores are two chapters deep into Of Mice and Men . For those of you unfamiliar with the book, Of Mice and Men tells the story of two traveling companions, Lennie and George, who end up working on a ranch where they meet a femme fatale, a married, but very bored beauty queen who has no one to talk to on a ranch...Full of men! Unable to resist her charms, Lennie accidentally kills her, which leads to the book's tragic ending. But now I'm getting way ahead of the game...

As an into (a series of questions that are supposed to get students into the right head space to discuss the book), I asked them these questions...

1) Is flirting good or bad?
2) Why do people flirt if they are already in a relationship?
3) Why do people cheat in a relationship?
4) Is it ever okay to cheat?
5) Instead of having an affair, why don't people just get a divorce?

Needless to say, I opened a Pandora's Box with this one. Sometimes I forget how immature fifteen year olds can be, but I was left with this one gem.

Teacher - Is it ever okay to cheat?

Student (boy) - Yeah, if they're a psycho killer or something!

Teacher - A psycho killer? That's the kind of person you want to cheat on?

And that in a nutshell is why I still like teaching.

Signing off.

Birds-Eye

No comments:

Post a Comment