Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day Sixteen

An outtake from Thursday.

"I tell ya I could of went with shows. Just not one neither. An' a old guy tol' me he could put me in pitchers..." (78).

Continued Of Mice and Men with my sophomores, focusing on Curley's young wife (see blog, Day Five). She's not a happy person. Why? Because she could have been a contender, instead she's a bum...just like everyone else. Consequently, she runs around the ranch, showing off her wares to get attention, the attention and adulation she would have got if she made it "in the pitchers."

She'd of made a pretty good reality TV star. Don't ya' think?

Anyway, I asked my students a series of questions, culminating with this one...

Is bragging a sign of high self esteem or low self esteem?

It's always interesting to hear what they think. I rarely know the answer myself. I just lob it into the crowd and see what happens.

Most of them thought bragging was a sign of high self esteem.

I disagreed, focusing on a certain rap star who can't stop talking about his bottomless talent. Perhaps he has to tell everyone that he's the greatest, because he's too afraid that people actually might come up with their own opinion. So he heads them off at the pass.

I don't know? I could be wrong. Isn't that scary?

And that in a nutshell is why I still like teaching.

Signing off.

Birds-Eye

No comments:

Post a Comment