Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day Six

Here's a transcript from today. Lesson. Keep your mouth shut if you don't know the score. The video game score.  More on that later.

INT. CLASSROOM - MORNING

Teacher - I'm very tired.

Student - Estoy cansado.

Teacher - What?

Student (cheerfully) - That's tired in Spanish.

Teacher - Cool.

Student - I'm getting an A+ in Spanish!

Side note. This student is getting a D in English.


Here's my thought process. She's getting an A+ in a foreign language, but a D in a language she speaks all day. I'm going to be a smart ass here and make a point of that. Insert sarcasm:


Teacher - What's your native language?

Student - Russian!

END SCENE

Where do you go from there?

On a side note. I had this student's twin brother last year, and he did have a rather thick Russian accent.

Why didn't I remember this important fact before making my sarcastic comment? Ask any teacher. Once a kid leaves your class, your brain gets wiped. 

His Spanish speaking twin, on the other hand, has a flawless American accent.

How is this possible? Let's find out.

INT. CLASSROOM - LATER

Teacher - Can I ask you a personal question?

Student (cheerfully) - Sure.

Teacher - I  had your brother last year, and he has a Russian accent. You don't. Why not?

Student - Oh, we moved here when we were hella' young. My brother just played video games by himself. I'm not good at video games so I watched TV all the time.

Teacher - Hmmm.

Student - I guess there's like a developmental point where you can learn a language hella' good and he missed it because he was sitting on the couch too much playing video games. That's why he has an accent.

Teacher - Interesting.

END SCENE

So there you have it. TV good. Video games bad.

And that in a nutshell is why I still like to teach.

Signing off.

Birds-Eye



1 comment: