Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day One

Today had its laughs. I taught my juniors appositive phrases. For those of you who don't know what an appositive phrase is, here's a quick tutorial. An appositive phrase basically fills in information, making essays more descriptive. 

For example: Mr. Birds-Eye, a new blogger, is blogging. A new blogger being an appositive phrase. 

Got it. Good. Let's move on.

To aid me in my lesson, I was using a severely outdated text book, an artifact from the Carter administration. An artifact from the Carter administration being an appositive phrase.

Sorry.

The authors of this volume either had a great sense of humor, or they were completely oblivious. I'm guessing oblivious, because as an example they've written, "My blooming pussy willow tree, the first sign of Spring in my garden, nets me twenty cents a twig." 

Needless to say, my class was in stitches. Being a good teacher (more like wanting to cover my ass) I made sure to tell my students that this example was school sanctioned, tailor made for children. 

I also made sure to inform them that the pussy willow was, in fact, a real tree, prompting one of my "guiding lights" to ask, "What grows on it?"

And there in a nutshell is why I still enjoy teaching.

Signing off.

Birds-Eye

 




No comments:

Post a Comment